Birth Injury Financial Support

Governmental Services

The government has realized that things happen that are not our fault and are unforeseen. To that end, there are a few programs in place to assist with families with special needs. One such plan is the Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program, designed to help families provide the proper nutrition to their birth injury patients. Nutrition is particularly important to children with cerebral palsy who usually are malnourished despite the family’s best efforts.

Life Care Plan

Once your child has been diagnosed with a birth injury, a number of experts are put in contact with you so that you can logically and realistically talk about your child’s birth injury and so that you can properly plan every visit, medication, surgery, and other needs for the next few years. Often a Life Care Plan is something that has to be agreed on as a settlement from the responsible parties, so for example, a Life Care Plan is paid for from a trial resulting from a medical malpractice suit. Some families have a really hard time deciding to take this route, but some expenses relating to birth injuries could add up to millions of dollars in medical bills and a Life Care Plan could be the only way you can ensure that you can pay for all of these medical bills.

Financial Aid

There are programs and applications for financial need, depending on what your child’s birth injury is. For example, if your child has cerebral palsy, there is a Cerebral Palsy Association that takes applications for scholarships to help with bills. There are similar programs in place for almost every kind of major birth injury.

Educational Resources

Supplemental educational resources can sometimes add up, but check with your local state government to see what kind of governmental grants and laws are in place that can help your children, whether you plan on having them educated through public education, private education, or even homeschooled education. All schools should have a Individualized Educational Plan and a 504 plan in place that ensures your child meets individual goals related to his or her own disability without comparing him or her to other students, but local state governments can sometimes pay for school books, supplies, and other educational needs.